db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCutcheon <michaelm...@frontiernet.net>
Subject stored procedures and embedded derby
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 04:30:25 GMT
Hello All,

I'm going to be using Derby (in embedded mode) in Tomcat for my web
app.  I am building everything from scratch.

I'm trying to decide on if I want to put 'everything' in stored
procedures or just code stuff in the application. (i.e. no SQL in the
application code whatsoever, all logic in procedures, etc.)

It seems like stored procedures are just more developer work for an
embedded database (more stuff to setup), and may actually be slower at
runtime because (I assume) the static methods are called reflectively
(correct me if I am wrong).

However, if I did do everything in stored procedures, that would make it
easy if I were to move out of embedded and put the database on a
seperate machine.

But for now the plan is to be completely embedded.

Can anyone share thoughts on this?  What do you think are the
benefits/drawbacks of stored procedures for an embedded database?

Thanks for any input,

Mike