db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question about using URLClassLoader and Derby
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:11:19 GMT
Oyvind.Bakksjo@Sun.COM wrote:

> // untested code follows
> protected Class loadClass(String name, boolean resolve)
>     throws ClassNotFoundException
> {
>     Class cl = findLoadedClass(name);
>     if (cl == null) {
>         // cut off delegation to parent for certain classes
>         // to ensure loading from the desired source
>         if (!name.startsWith("org.apache.derby")) {
>             cl = getParent().loadClass(name);
>         }
>     }
>     if (cl == null) cl = findClass(name);
>     if (cl == null) throw new ClassNotFoundException();
>     if (resolve) resolveClass(cl);
>     return cl;
> }
>

> You could subclass URLClassLoader and override this method.

Super neat!  To summarize:

I can keep other Derby versions loaded from interfering with my app  by
creating a  DerbyURLClassLoader that overrides the loadClass method to
filter out any Derby classes in the parent class loader.

I can prevent my app from interfering with other Derby versions  by
DataSource from there that I use for all my connections as described in
my original mail.

I have a completely isolated environment with regard to Derby.  Because
JDBC provides a single entry point at the DataSource, I don't have to
understand the overall ClassLoader hierarchy or otherwise be a
ClassLoader expert.  Does anyone see any holes here?

Thanks

Kathey