db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: How to use Unicode with derby ? does it supports unicode text ?
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:17:45 GMT

As Dan has said more details are necessary.  I have never
seen any issues on the engine side with storing and retrieving
unicode characters.  The only issues I have seen is using the
proper jdbc interfaces correctly to insert and retrieve the
data.

The store system
uses a modified UTF8 encoding to store characters to disk, but
that in no way should affect how users see the data when they
retrieve it back.  The encoding preserves the exact unicode
encoding, and will give it back exactly as it was input.  The
UTF8 is merely a lossless encoding scheme to save some space
on disk, and is completely hidden from all layers above the
store.