db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: How to use Unicode with derby ? does it supports unicode text ?
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:57:49 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Legolas Woodland <legolas.w@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>Hi
>>Does derby support inserting unicode data into its char variant fields ?
>>for example inserting Arabic ?
>>in sqlServer there is Ntext and nchar ,nvarchar ... to support unicode data.
>>in mysql there are charset and collat + some connection url parameter that make using
unicode data possible
>>now how i can use unicode inderby ?
>>i tried to use but it does not shows correct data , it replace them with ???

All character types in Derby are stored in Unicode, that is, the
character set is always Unicode. When you say 'it does not shows correct
data', what exactly is 'it'. The Derby engine is a JDBC driver, thus all
of its interactions are through Java code which of course supports
Unicode. The Derby engine, itself, does not 'show data', the application
calling Derby shows the data, thus the application may not be encoding
the data its receives from Derby correctly.

The ij tool has some options to provide encoding in its output, this may
be useful:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tools/rtoolsijpropref97949.html

> What's your locale? I think Derby gets problems with unicode when
> LC_ALL (or LC_CTYPE) is invalid.

Are there Jira entries for these problems? I'm not sure what could be
going on, because Derby's use of Unicode is through Java and independent
of any local setting (at least for the engine).

Dan.