db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Language based ordering is possible in Derby
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:00:28 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Dan's workaround is very useful and √ėyvind's suggestion is interesting
> also. It's worth pointing out that the need for these workarounds should
> decrease after we fix bug 533 (the re-enabling of the natonal character
> datatypes). I hope to get to that bug in 10.2. The national character
> datatypes will give us language-sensitive collation in indexes and sorts.

Exactly, this is a workaround to help users with 10.1.

That's great you are looking at national character types for 10.2. Even
with national characters this functionality is useful because it allows
sort orders per statement, and on non-national character types. Though
there are probably advantages to building the functionality into the engine.

Dan.