db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:59:56 GMT
Michael Segel wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 November 2005 09:46, Kristian Waagan wrote:
>
> Ok,
> Silly question on either Sun's or Tomcat.
>
> Is this a potential security risk? What's the default parameters?
> I guess all you need to do is to limit access to that directory....

You can disable both dynamic reloading (changes in already deployed
applications) and autodeploy, but I believe the default is that these
features are enabled for both appservers mentioned.

You are also correct in that the security mechanism for these features
is the OS/filesystem access control. It is also possible to specify
autodeploy directories per application, so that developers for that
application don't need access to the main autodeploy directory (for
SJSAS, don't know for Tomcat - anybody?).

> I mean its great for prototyping, but in production?

I browsed some docs, and it is stated that the dynamic reloading feature
may cause some performance degradation.

I suppose many system admins would disable these features in a
production environment.

--
Kristian