db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:46:46 GMT
Michael Segel wrote:
> On Monday 31 October 2005 14:40, Susan Cline wrote:
>
>>As Jean mentioned, if you use the Prototype integration option of the
>>article you can have the derby jar files in the war file.  I think you can
>>just replace the war file with the new web application that contains the
>>derby jar file(s) in the lib directory without stopping the Tomcat server.
>>
>>I think Tomcat "sees" new war files (possibly depending on how it is
>>configured) when they are placed in the webapps directory.
>>
>>Susan
>>

> Replace the file?
> I would be very suspect if that were the case.
> Usually your application will open a file descriptor to the files at start up.
> (Your new files don't have the same inode (whatever the Microsoft analogy
> is ...) So its not the same file.
>
> This would mean that you would have to "refresh" Tomcat to get it to "see" the
> new file.
>
> Now if you can refresh Tomcat, then you should have the power to start and
> stop Tomcat.
>
> If you mean add it to the directory and then have Tomcat "discover" the new
> files/apps that would be different.

Hello,

Just want to inform that the Sun Java System Application Server actually
  does redeploy if you overwrite, or touches, the already existing
deployment archive in the autodeploy directory.

I have not worked much with Tomcat, so I grabbed it to see what it does.
I observed that it also redeploys when you overwrite an existing
deployment archive in the webapps directory. I tried this on Solaris 10
with Tomcat version 5.5.12.

This means that you might be able to use the Prototype integration
approach to redeploy your application (and have it use Derby) without
restarting/refreshing the server. It is at least worth a try :)
(you might get stopped by the current server configuration though)

Regards,
--
Kristian