db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: Recursive Select for Discussion Forum
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:51:29 GMT
On Wednesday 30 November 2005 12:42, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> You could streamline your recursive walk by using a temporary table and
> a database procedure. The temporary table would hold the ids you
> recursively harvest. It would be populated by your database procedure,
> which would walk up the levels of your hierarchy. When the procedure
> returned, you could then join the temporary table to your
> discussion_item table to get the details you needed. It's not an elegant
> solution, but by running the procedure inside the database, you would
> eliminate a lot of network handshaking.
>
> Derby does not support hierarchical queries. You're welcome to log an
> enhancement request for this feature.

Well if you're going to use Temp tables, why not go outside of just SQL
statements and then use cursors?

By using prepared statements you could do this and maybe use a little bit of
recursion. Since this is SELECT, you'd want to make sure that you do this out
side of a Transaction. (Transactions and recursive SQL statements can get
messy.)

Pretty straight forward from there.
You only need to prepare two statements, and each recursion requires a unique
resultSet to be declared.

Your table would look like this:
Table foo:
	msg_id int --  (you can autogenerate or use long or something else depending
on # of messages and retension rules.)
	parent_id int (set default to 0)
	msg_author ...
	msg_header ...
	msg_txt ...

Then create an index on msg_id and also on parent_id;

This can be done a couple of ways or permutations.
Here's the simplest.

Make the following CLASS variables;
A database connection con;
Create a vector to store the result sets.
int rec_lvl = 0 (this is the level of recursion)
Create and prepare the following select statement:
SELECT msg_id, msg_author, msg_header, msg_txt
FROM   foo
WHERE parent_id = ?
ORDER BY msg_id;

You then have two methods to write:
1) A Method to pull the data out of the result set, and pop it on to a vector,
including the rec_lvl variable. (This will be used to build your tree)

2) The recursive method that finds all the children to the input value of
parent_id.

So the first time you call the method you pass in the value of 0 for the
parent id.
Then for each record you get back, you pass the result set to the popOnVector
and the current rec_lvl value.
You then call the recursive routine, passing in the current msg_id and
(rec_lvl + 1);

Thats all it takes.

The actual building of this is left as an exercise to the student.

HTH,

But hey, what do I know? You initially wanted to write recursive SQL which is
never a good idea.