db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Leslie Software <lesliesoftw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Unable to create temporary table when using a readonly database
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:17:08 GMT
I have created a read-only database (currently a directory structure
but eventually it will be moved into a .jar).  I setup the properties
for the database log and the temp directory fine and most things seem
to work.  If I perform a complex query I can see temporary files being
created in the temp directory I specified; however when I try to create
my own temporary table - like this:

declare global temporary table test (name VARCHAR(10), value INT)
not logged

I get this error:
SQL Execution Error:Execute error (25503):
DDL is not permitted for a read-only connection, user or database.

Should I be able to create temporary tables for a ready-only database?
If not how will I be able to write multi stage queries  (perform step
one and place results in a temporary table then join the temp table to
the other tables to get the results needed)?  I am sure that as I
develop my application I will run into cases where I will need to use
temporary tables to perform the queries I need.  I followed the steps
in the manual
<http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/manuals/develop/develop34.html#Creating+and+Preparing+the+Database+for+Read-Only+Use>
to set things up.

Any advice would be appreciated.