db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: Unable to create temporary table when using a readonly database
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:17:26 GMT
On Tuesday 29 November 2005 16:02, Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
>  Michael Segel wrote:
>

> <>Eeewwww, apply the KISS rule. Where are the temp tables actually created?
>  In memory only? In /tmp? Or in some place where the JVM dictates? Or cwd?
>  (Current Working Directory).
>
>  If you had clicked on the second link I had, you would know the answer!
>

> For the read-only database, set the property derby.storage.tempDirectory to
> a writable location. Derby needs to write to temporary files for large
> sorts required by such SQL statements as ORDER BY, UNION, DISTINCT, and
> GROUP BY. For more information about this property, see Tuning Derby.
> derby.storage.tempDirectory=c:/temp/mytemp
What?
Me read the manual? ;-)
Now that would take the fun out of it.

Again, that would allow Derby to function.
Why would you want to set up a read-only database where the app/user would
also create temp tables? Kinda like letting people smoke in a non-smoking
restaurant. ;-)

I really do think the better solution would be to create permissions and then
allow the person to grant or revoke the permissions. But then again, that
would be a major change...