db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: Unable to create temporary table when using a readonly database
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:49:57 GMT
On Tuesday 29 November 2005 14:59, Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
> Don't think current temporary tables is designed to work in read-only
> databases. It is not documented as a supported behavior. So don't think
> this is a bug.

Right.

> However, this may be useful. An IMPROVEMENT request would be good to file.
>
> Satheesh

Eeewwww,  apply the KISS rule. Where are the temp tables actually created?
In memory only? In /tmp? Or in some place where the JVM dictates? Or cwd?
(Current Working Directory).

I guess its a question of why?

Wouldn't it be better to add permissions to Derby instead?

But hey! What do I know? I thought that Oracle and Sybase got it right when
you stored database users and passwords within the database rather than using
Unix to authenticate... ;-)