db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: Derby and portability
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:07:17 GMT
On Thursday 17 November 2005 11:31, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
Jean,

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yes, I am well aware of what an Open Source project entails.
(Apache vs GPL ... etc...)

My point was that even within an Open Source environment, there can still be
coordination amongst contributors and how to establish guidelines for
assessing severity and assigning volunteer resources to tackle the problem.

There are several licensing schemes and models for managing "Open Source"
code. Apache is just one of them. ;-)

But this is not the point.

In order to "fix" issues, there has to be some concensus on some design
decisions. For example, if you're going to modify the "ALTER TABLE" command,
you have to consider a couple of things. Cascading the change, how to handle
NULLs and Constraints. Order of precedence between containers and data...

So who makes these decisions? Are they always taken to a vote?
(Design by committee?)

Its not a question of demanding that something gets fixed.
Its a question of establishing a common way of assigning priority as to what
should be addressed. Or an approach to a design.

As to volunteering? Sorry, unlike a couple people here, I'm not paid to play
here. ;-) I've got to earn my salary and my clients' needs come first.

--
Michael Segel
Principal