db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Susan Cline <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: "conglomerate does not exist" error
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:59:04 GMT

--- Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/11/05, Susan Cline <home4slc@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I got this to work using the following
> configuration:
> >
> > Tomcat 5.5.9 with these edits to the server.xml
> file:

  snip

> This approach however ties me to Tomcat and makes it
> necessary to
> change the server environment neither of which I can
> afford, because
> my webapp is supposed to be a simple drop-in into
> any servlet
> container (Jetty, Tomcat, JRun, you name it).

Okay, sorry about that ... didn't realize that was the
case.

  snip

> > I created a database, derbydb using ij and created
> > table foo in it and inserted one row.  I then
> imported
> > it using Eclipse to the WEB-INF/classes directory.
>
> I think this is the crucial point. As I wrote
> before, my approach
> worked without problems when I ran ij on the
> database before starting
> the webapp (there was no need to make Tomcat aware
> of the database).
> However I'd like to create the database via the url
> (which is done
> automatically upon first connect), not via an
> external tool.

Okay, so I tried this.  I did not use ddlutils to
create the database, but what I did do was just to
create the database using a stand-alone Java program.
I then moved the database to the WEB-INF/classes
directory like before, deployed it to Tomcat, and was
able to successfully connect to it the first time I
started Tomcat.  So I'm not sure what is different
about the way it is not working for you and it worked
for me, other than some of our configuration
differences.

> > As I mentioned before I haven't used Spring so I

  snip

> You should definitely checkout Spring, makes dealing
> with databases so
> much easier. Specifically, you don't need to deal
> with the server.xml
> anymore, JDBC handling (or other ORMs like iBATIS,
> OJB or Hibernate)
> are nicely abstracted for you, and on top of it all
> you get really
> nice automatic transaction handling for which you
> don't have to write
> a single line of code.

  Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

> thanks anyway ;-)