db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:38:42 GMT
On Wednesday 09 November 2005 09:14, Will Senn wrote:

> Total and complete insanity on the vendors part, but a truthful
> assessment nonetheless. Gone are the days of bullet proof specs, or are
> they? Could it be that they were never here? Sadly not, although it may
> have seemed so, back in the day. The exponential increase in complexity
> has exposed a great number of flaws in what might have seemed solid back
> when.

You really don't want to get in to the discussion of bullet proof specs. ;-)

> However, that being said, my 2 cents is that it's totally nuts to commit
> anything after an error, unless you don't care that your datastore is in
> an unknown state (you being the database vendor). The argument that the
> app developer might want it that way... sheesh harkens back to the days
> of writing linear incongruent pseudo random number generators using
> BASIC's integer overflow characteristics... Cool, but infinitely
> frightening (non-portable, monster-unmaintainable) at the same time.
>
> -Will
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that.

In further thought of my suggestion, I guess the database vendors would have
to do some work. Considering what I am thinking would force them to rethink
what is meant by a connection relative to a transaction, and how to allow for
multiple non-nested concurrent transactions to occur within the same
connection context.

But again, I don't think that its going to be rocket science.

--
Michael Segel
Principal