db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:31:38 GMT
On Monday 31 October 2005 14:40, Susan Cline wrote:
> As Jean mentioned, if you use the Prototype integration option of the
> article you can have the derby jar files in the war file.  I think you can
> just replace the war file with the new web application that contains the
> derby jar file(s) in the lib directory without stopping the Tomcat server.
>
> I think Tomcat "sees" new war files (possibly depending on how it is
> configured) when they are placed in the webapps directory.
>
> Susan

Replace the file?
I would be very suspect if that were the case.
Usually your application will open a file descriptor to the files at start up.
(Your new files don't have the same inode (whatever the Microsoft analogy
is ...) So its not the same file.

This would mean that you would have to "refresh" Tomcat to get it to "see" the
new file.

Now if you can refresh Tomcat, then you should have the power to start and
stop Tomcat.

If you mean add it to the directory and then have Tomcat "discover" the new
files/apps that would be different.

--
Michael Segel
Principal