db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Lars Clausen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: How to use Unicode with derby ? does it supports unicode text ?
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:48:05 GMT
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:21, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> writes:
>
> > Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> What's your locale? I think Derby gets problems with unicode when
> >> LC_ALL (or LC_CTYPE) is invalid.
> >
> > Are there Jira entries for these problems? I'm not sure what could be
> > going on, because Derby's use of Unicode is through Java and independent
> > of any local setting (at least for the engine).
>
> No, I don't think it is in JIRA. I don't remember the details, but I
> once experienced that non-ASCII characters were saved on disk (both
> log and db) as the UTF-8 replacement character (which means "unknown
> character" and is often printed as '?'). Unfortunately, I'm not able
> to reproduce it now, and it might just have been an issue between my
> terminal and ij, not a Derby issue.

We had an issue recently where we stored into a CLOB using
setCharacterStream but read from it using getAsciiStream, and that did
break the non-ASCII characters (no big surprise).  However, terminal
issues are not a bad bet either.  xterm is tricky to make work with
Unicode, I've had good luck with Gnome-terminal.

-Lars