db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Invalid SQL State
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:00:34 GMT
Chas douglass <chas.douglass@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using Derby embedded 10.1.1.0 with Hibernate 3.0.5.  I have one thread
> running, iterating through a number of transactions.  A second thread starts up,
> performs 0 or more transactions, and then ends.  At this point, thread 1 gets:
>
> 06:34:05,431  WARN JDBCExceptionReporter:71 - SQL Error: 20000, SQLState: 25000
> 06:34:05,431 ERROR JDBCExceptionReporter:72 - Invalid transaction state.
> org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Cannot close connection
>
> I get no errors unless the two threads overlap.
>
> Can anyone provide any insight into what this error is trying to tell me?  Or,
> perhaps, suggest what further information would be necessary?

Do you by any chance, try to close a connection while you have an open
transaction? Have you tried inserting a c.rollback() or c.commit()
before closing the connction?

Are the two threads sharing the same connection? If they do, I think
you need block access from other threads to the connection object
while you have an open transaction. If you can, you should really try
to give each thread their own connection. That will make things much
simpler.

I don't know how much of this is actually under your control when using
Hibernate, though...

HTH
--
dt