db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:16:50 GMT
Often, databases are installed in a web server so they are able to be
shared among multiple web applications. Depending on the web server,
installation might require the server to be bounced to take effect,
although many servers can dynamically add resources. The referenced
article calls this "Casual Integration" and "Enterprise Integration".

If the Derby database is intended only for use by a specific web
application (not shared) I don't believe that the web server is even
aware of its use, and therefore no installation, configuration, or
special treatment of the database is needed. The article refers to
this as "Prototype Integration". To the web server, the application
is simply accessing files, so the only thing that's needed is to
configure the application for deployment such that file access is
permitted.

As far as I know, the only thing to watch out for is class loader
conflicts. To avoid possible conflicts among multiple applications
using Derby, the "non-delegate" property of the application should be
used. This has the effect of loading the entire Derby code base into
the application. For efficiency, if multiple applications are going
to use Derby, it might be a good idea to use "delegate" and share the
Derby code, understanding that sharing the code has more requirements
(you need to make sure that the different applications can use the
same version of Derby).

Craig