db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Are you happy with Derby?]
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:12:07 GMT

On Oct 27, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Michael J. Segel wrote:

> Apache is great if your goal is to take and use the IP or embed the
> product in
> your application for resale.
>
> It sucks if you're a developer and want to extend an existing app
> with some
> new IP that has some monetary value. This is what I meant about
> protecting
> your IP.

I think you've got it a little backwards, I think. The GPL requires
that any modifications to GPL-licensed code be distributed under the
GPL as well. This allows resale, but not extension, without releasing
the source to your modifications. Thus, if you combine your IP with
GPL-licensed code, you have to release the source to your IP. If
anything, this means that the original copyright holder has the right
to use your IP in their GPL-licensed product as well, for free. This
pushes your IP back up to the original copyright holder.

The ASL does not require the distribution of source modifications
combined with works licensed under the ASL. It is your choice to
contribute them back to the original project. You can choose not to
release the source to modified ASL code to the public - thus
protecting your IP - without being in violation of the ASL.

> That's the kicker.

The kicker is that this isn't the place for license discussions, it's
a place to discuss using Derby. While licensing is a part of that,
there are other places - and lawyers - for determining whether a
particular software license is a good fit for your needs.

Your input is appreciated, of course. And while I couldn't help but
chime in, I think this discussion has meandered a little far off
course....

andrew