db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Raji Sridar \(raji\)" <r...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: FW: [Fwd: Re: Are you happy with Derby?]
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 05:34:50 GMT
Thanks, Daniel!

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel John Debrunner [mailto:djd@debrunners.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 3:44 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: FW: [Fwd: Re: Are you happy with Derby?]

Raji Sridar wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Your opinion was very encouraging - I also built a prototype based on
Derby.
> I am happy to say, that our management has almost decided on Derby,
> subject to legal approval for the licensing aspects.
>
> We plan to use Derby as an embedded RDBMS in our Network Management
> Application. The data stored in Derby will be typical network
> management data pertaining to the inventory, fault and performance
> aspects of network elements.
>
> With this mind, I would like a clarification:
>
> If an external application would like to extract this data for
> correlation with the typical customer data, the general way will be to

> use ij and proceed. The double booting issue will prevent this. What
> are all the possible workarounds for the double booting issue? Can you

> please give me the required pointers?

You can also embed the network server in your application, either using
code or just setting a single property. This then allows remote access
over tcp/ip to your database, while you application continues to access
Derby via the embedded driver.

The clients access derby using the client driver, either using JDBC or
ij.

For the picture look at pages/slides 53 & 54 of this:

http://db.apache.org/derby/binaries/djd_derby_intro.pdf

Doc links at:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/

> Is there any potential issue when multiple copies of Derby runs in the

> same PC (Within the same application or within different
applications)?

No issues. You may want to select your own tcp/ip port for the network
server rather than using the default.

Dan.