db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oyvind.Bakk...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:03:29 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Legolas Woodland wrote:
>> Thank you for references
>> I read the article of embeding Derby into Tomcat
>> but in my case i have no full access  to server to stop tomcat or
>> install derby into the server.
>> I thought Embeding means no installation requirement.
>> is there any way that i include some derby jar files with my web
>> application (into lib folder) and use it as embeded DB server ?
> Check out Lance Bader's developerWorks article "Integrate Cloudscape
> Version 10 or Derby with Tomcat":
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0508bader/index.html
> His "prototype integration" option doesn't require touching the Tomcat
> configuration. While his instructions have you stop/start the tomcat
> server, I don't know if this is strictly necessary to add derby to your
> existing web application. Does anyone on this list know for sure?

The "prototype integration" incurs a lot of overhead, starting and
shutting down Derby with each request. The other two integration
scenarios use Tomcat-specific extensions and require restarting the server.

I would like to suggest reading my (short but excellent ;o) blog entry,
where I describe how one can do lifecycle management in a standard
(container-agnostic) way, which neither requires access to the Tomcat
configuration nor stopping/starting the server.

Oyvind Bakksjo
Trondheim, Norway

View raw message