db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:06:50 GMT
Legolas Woodland wrote:
> Thank you for references
> I read the article of embeding Derby into Tomcat
> but in my case i have no full access  to server to stop tomcat or
> install derby into the server.
> I thought Embeding means no installation requirement.
> is there any way that i include some derby jar files with my web
> application (into lib folder) and use it as embeded DB server ?

Check out Lance Bader's developerWorks article "Integrate Cloudscape
Version 10 or Derby with Tomcat":

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0508bader/index.html

His "prototype integration" option doesn't require touching the Tomcat
configuration. While his instructions have you stop/start the tomcat
server, I don't know if this is strictly necessary to add derby to your
existing web application. Does anyone on this list know for sure?

  -jean