db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:19:21 GMT
Legolas Woodland wrote:
> Hi
> Thank you for reading my post
> I should design and implement an application which is going to run on
> tomcat 5.5 and Database can be  one of derby ,sqlServer , Mysql.
> Problem is that this application should be able to have about 15
> -20Transaction in 1 second .They have no extra power servers , just an
> ordinary hosting plan.
> my question is : which of this database is better to choose ?
> i thought that derby could be better because it can be embeded into my
> application .
> can derby carry out 15-20 transacion in 1 secod ?is it feasible with
> using DAO pattern and plain JDBC ,or it need some other requirement ?
> I have Struts  and mysql experience I learned derby but i did not use it
> yet.
> before they ask me about  implementing this project they used PHP+Mysql
> and it seems that that application Hangs on +10  hits per second
> each hit had some Insert one update and 2 select at least.

Dan Debrunner's "Introducing Apache Derby" presentation from ApacheCon
US last November might have some helpful info for you. You can download
it from http://db.apache.org/derby/binaries/djd_derby_intro.pdf .

A "Guidelines" section starts on slide 19. Slide 24 lists 100-500
updates per second -- but, of course, your actual performance will
depend on the complexity of your transactions.

Also you might be interested in an article Stan Bradbury contributed
yesterday that shows a way to embed Derby in Tomcat 5.5. You can find it
here:

    http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/DerbyTomcat5512JPetStor.html

I hope this helps.

regards,