db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Are you happy with Derby?]
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:33:28 GMT
Michael J. Segel wrote:
> On Thursday 27 October 2005 23:04, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>Michael J. Segel wrote:
>>>Getting back to Apache, under Apache, the contributor pretty much puts
>>>his software out in the public eye and says have at it.
>>>Apache is great if your goal is to take and use the IP or embed the
>>>product in your application for resale.
>>>It sucks if you're a developer and want to extend an existing app with
>>>some new IP that has some monetary value. This is what I meant about
>>>protecting your IP.
>>It seems clear that you don't like the Apache License. That's fine;
>>everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.
>>In your case, perhaps it would be wise to avoid using/developing
>>software licensed under the ASL.
>>  -jean
> Jean,
> I guess you have a bit of defensive streak because you're misinterpretting
> what I'm saying.
> As a user of Apache products, its a great thing. Since one of the posters was
> from Cisco asking about it, yeah Derby is a much better deal than MySQL since
> he can avoid any legal issues and use it as he/she feels fit.
> Cisco gets an embedable database for "free". Sans support, but hey, they
> always have you to support the product, or they could pay to have someone
> maintain a code stream and fix it themselves.
> The net net, is that they can save a bundle by not having to license an RDBMS
> from someone. Even after steep discounts, its still pretty expensive. Now who
> is it that they currently use.... ;-)
> Sorry, but using Derby is one thing.  Contributing IP to improve Derby is
> another.
> Sorry to beat a dead/dying horse, but I thought that this should clear things
> up.

This is the wrong list for discussing Apache licensing.  Users subscribe
to this list to discuss how to use Derby.

That much said, if you have a specific question about the ASL that isn't
addressed by one of the resources mentioned at
http://db.apache.org/derby/license.html , please feel free to post that
question here. I'll take it to the DB PMC for clarification and, if
needed, on to legal-discuss@apache.org.

Please use derby-user for discussions on how to use Derby.

View raw message