db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Are you happy with Derby?]
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:19:14 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Obviously you are talking about something else, but I'm not sure what.
> The ASL v2 allows distribution under a different licence, I thought the
> GPL did not (clause 2b).

To follow up with the facts, from the FSF itself:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#HeardOtherLicense

<quote>

The GNU GPL does not give users permission to attach other licenses to
the program. But the copyright holder for a program can release it under
several different licenses in parallel. One of them may be the GNU GPL.

</quote>

Thus if you obtain code under the GPL you are stuck with the GPL, unless
of course you are the copyright holder.

Dan.