db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Are you happy with Derby?]
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:22:00 GMT
Michael J. Segel wrote:

> I guess you could say that this is a good thing if you're looking at using
> Derby vs MySQL.   Which is why MySQL can be released under multiple licensing
> types. GPL affords certain protections to the author, or rather to the
> author's intentions.

GPL has absolutly nothing to do with why MySQL can be released under
multiple licenses.

MySQL AB can release MySQL under multiple licenses because they are the
sole owner of the copyright on the code and for Innodb (at least) they
have licenced that code from the copyright holder. Of course now the
copyright holder for the Innodb code is Oracle, which raises all sorts
of interesting possibilities.

View raw message