db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: FW: [Fwd: Re: Are you happy with Derby?]
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 05:00:05 GMT

Michael J. Segel wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 17:44, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>>Raji Sridar wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Michael,
>>>
>>>Your opinion was very encouraging - I also built a prototype based on
>>>Derby. I am happy to say, that our management has almost decided on
>>>Derby, subject to legal approval for the licensing aspects.
>>>

> Yeah thats the kicker.
> I'm not a lawyer, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
>
> If you use Derby embedded in your app, you have to also ship a copy of the
> derby source code with your app.  Note: If your app is actually a
> modification to Derby, then you have to publish the source code of your app.
> And this is where it gets tricky.

Huh?  It sounds like you are talking about Gnu Public License, not
Apache 2.0 license.  I'm not a lawyer either, and you do need to check
the license, but as I understand it, you are free to redistribute
binaries as you see fit, and source code of neither Derby nor your
application need to be provided.  You can also take Derby and modify it
as your needs fit and are free to either put these changes back into
Apache Derby or not.

David