db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error 38000 with a stack overflow on recordset.next()?
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:52:59 GMT
Daniel Skiles wrote:

>Hi Daniel -
>

>>It would be helpful to have the complete output from the derby sysinfo
>>

>>command along with the JVM information supplied by 'java -version'. In
>>

>>case you are not familiar with the sysinfo command it is:
>>java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo

Hi Daniel -

The derby.log file is created in the default output directory for derby
which is either the value of the parameter derby.system.home or the
current working directory of the process that starts the JVM.  You can
place the three debug parameters in a file named derby.properties - this
needs to be in derby.system.home directory (e.g. next to the derby.log
file).  If it seems manageable locate the derby.log  then you can create
the derby.properties file in the same place - include the three settings
listed.  If you prefer a more deterministic method you can  declare all
the parameters on the java command line you use to start your
application - it would look like this:

java -Dderby.system.home=<logDir> -Dderby.language.logStatementText=true
-Dderby.infolog.append=true
-Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0 <myApplication>

Where, of course, you replace <logDir> with the location where you wish
the derby.log file to be written and
where you replace <myApplicaiton> with the application classfile name.
NOTE: if your application connection URL does not specify the full path
to the database then setting derby.system.home might cause the database
not to be found.  All DBs referenced with a relative path on the URL are
looked for relative to the setting of derby.system.home.

Hope this helps.