db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <edson.rich...@mgrinformatica.com.br>
Subject High transactional x stable and recoverable
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:03:49 GMT
Hi.

I've been using Derby for non critical apps here. Now, I'm studying
migration of a large, high intensive transactional client-server
application (of course, written in java).

I wan't to know if there are similar apps running today, and know if
people managing these databases could talk a little about:

1) transaction stability: I had several problems with MaxDB database
about transaction and how delete are implemented as sample. I had some
inconsistencies in transaction locking mechanisms, but due to be hard to
reproduce, I never get them fixed (on MaxDB)... And there is race
conditions that causes instabilities (in MaxDB, again).

2) client-server performance: I've seen Derby being very responsive in a
Tomcat embed environment. But what about client-server operation? Is
there features like connection recovery (if the connection is
interrupted - due to network, wireless, or anything else) the connection
could reconnect automatically? There is time-out for statements
execution? There are some kind of cust control so is possible to deny
some queries to be executed under some hours of day?

3) How easy is to connect Derby using Crystal Reports throught ODBC? In
real, someone could tell me if it's real working, or in theory could
work because Derby has ODBC support (I'm not being sarcastic, it's just
a real question - MaxDB, as example, has ODBC support, but get it
working with Crystal Reports is another history...)?

4) If a database crash occur, there is a tool for recovery database
(check integrity, repair minor errors - like allocation pages, etc) like
we can find in MS SQL Server and MaxDB?

5) There is option for backup - of course I already read this on manuals
- but what about differential backups? Log backups? They are really easy
to recover?

6) What the plans for a GUI for database administration (performance
tunning, database objects manipulation, log reading, etc) under Swing,
SWT or WEB environments, so datbase administration not need to be logged
(locally) in the machine - and his access could be very restricted - and
remote?

7) Derby is more stable under Windows or Linux (keeping out traditional
comments about Windows never being stable as Linux is)?

8) What about ADO support - exists, will exists some day, there are no
plans?

Sorry if this is a large questionary, but I think answers for this could
be very interesting in Derby FAQ. If there is answers for this questions
already, please point me to url where I could find them. It's very
important to me collect as much information as possible to make a decision.

Note: Just to be clear. I'm not trying to start any kind of war like
"database X is better than Derby because..." or anything else. I'm just
asking for features supported/not supported, and I've used as example
databases I have (quite large - more than 3 years for MaxDB and more
than 10 years for MS SQL) experience with just because they all have
real "tricks and tips" for every day use.

And finally: I really like the way Derby is working on our little (to
400Mb databases) projects today. We have changed every app from
HypersonicSQL to Derby, and now we want to change (1.5Gb databases) from
SapDB/MaxDB to Derby.

Thank you all,

Edson Richter