db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error 38000 with a stack overflow on recordset.next()?
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:59:32 GMT
Daniel Skiles wrote:

>Daniel, any chance of posting a complete repro, so I can recreate the problem to debug?
I am also baffled by the stack trace and your description of your program. Though your stack
trace is useful, it would be lot more useful to generate it with actual line numbers of the
code. I can do this and also investigate the problem if I can get a complete reproduction
posted.

>I can’t post the exact code, but I can post most of it.  I had to rip some bits out
here and there because of company policy.  If anything looks out of whack, please let me know.
 Thanks for the help.

>package com.docfinity.orphantracker;
>

>import java.io.BufferedReader;

... SNIP ...

Hi Daniel -

This is a intriging mystery - I just went through this thread and think
Jeff pointed out a issue that may mean the problem is in the system as a
whole rather than in Derby or your code. Would you supply information on
your testing enviornment - Jeff L. wrote..

"The interesting thing about this is that the stack overflow is in
UnionResultSet.openCore, yet what you describe here has nothing to do
with unions. There's nothing in the language code that I know of that
would introduce a UnionResultSet into any of these statements. ..."

It would be helpful to have the complete output from the derby sysinfo
command along with the JVM information supplied by 'java -version'. In
case you are not familiar with the sysinfo command it is:
 > java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo

Is there any additional information in the derby.log file? Does the
stack trace there also end with:

	at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.UnionResultSet.openCore(Unknown
Source)

Lastly, if you were to perform one test with the logStatementText TRUE
('derby.language.logStatementText=true') then post the derby.log we
would know what SQL statement Derby was chewing on when this problem
happens (the derby.log will get large so I would unset it after the test).
NOTE: It is also helpful to set the following properties while debugging
if they are not already being used:
derby.infolog.append=true
derby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0

Hope this helps.