db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Chong Yu Meng <chon...@cymulacrum.net>
Subject JDBC URL for NetworkServer
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:13:36 GMT
Hi all,

I'm experimenting with Derby's NetworkServer deployment option and I
came upon something that I'm not sure is unusual or not. I am using the
ij tool to interface with Derby and I found that if I use the following
syntax to conect to Derby and create a database:
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:someDB;create=true';

I get a "no suitable driver" error message.

However, if I use this syntax:
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/someDB;create=true';

I get a successful connection and the database gets created. Is this how
Derby works? There's probably something huge that I have missed
somewhere. Can anyone give me a link to information either in the
documentation or website that explains which URLs are to be used when?

Thanks in Advance,
pascal chong

View raw message