db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Derby XA, Hibernate 2.1.6, WebSphere 5.1 - Server returned XAER_NOTA at commit time
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:01:31 GMT
Johan Hoogenboezem wrote:

>Hi Stanley
>1. I will try to initiate a support case, but in my experience they drag
>their feet if they think the problem does not lie with WAS. They are also
>very likely to tell me to move to WAS 6.
>2. Like I said before, the trace logs are meaningless to me. And you are
>mistaken about the cleanup happening before XAERR_NOTA. Look at my first
>email.
>3. I'll try to get hold of WAS 6. I won't be able to pursue this avenue if
>it cannot co-exist with WAS 5, since it takes me more than a day to set up
>everything we require in WAS 5.

I haven't been following this thread, but  I don' think the Derby client
driver is shipped with WAS 6, and I could be wrong but I  don't think
there is a released  version of WAS  that includes the client driver, so
you are a bit of a trail blazer here.  That said,  if there is a client
XA bug it would be really good to track it down.  Probably the best bet
is for you to try to get a reproducible case that includes just Derby
that you can submit in Jira. . One thing  that might help you here is
the client tracing.  You can turn this on by using the setTraceFile
method on the ClientDataSource. If these are the tracelogs that you
talked about being meaningless to you, then please take a closer look
and come up with some specific quetsions about the tracing and I am sure
folks here on the list would be happy to answer your questions.  The
tracing is documented at:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/cadminappsclienttracing.html.
You could turn off  TRACE_PROTOCOL_FLOWS to reduce the trace volume of
the trace output and make it more manageable.

If you figure out the problem sequence of XA calls you can either write
a standalone java program or use the internal ij xa scripting language
that is used for the xa tests to write a reproducible case that you can
submit.

Good XA references if you are new to XA are:

The Sun Java Transaction API specification
http://java.sun.com/products/jta/index.html

The XA+ specification.
http://www.opengroup.org/publications/catalog/s423.htm

Kathey