db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <edson.rich...@mgrinformatica.com.br>
Subject Re: Full Text Indexing
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:59:17 GMT
I don't think I'll have a good single table example, as I use Lucene as
core part of my project (it's at my "micro-kernel" project
infra-structure - that is multi-database driven).

What I could point you is that I use OJB and/or Hibernate for
persistence, and between my application and OJB/Hibernate I have a layer
for persistence (like a Broker layer) that detects (from some
configuration tables) what objects need to be indexed during
insert/update/delete operations, and uses the indexes for search when
selecting data from database.

Everything needed to be indexed, I must put the primary key of the table
- always - for referencing when loading data from database. So, the
operation isn't transparent, but is almost easy.

BUT, it will require you work with an database abstraction or broker
layer - some extra effort sometimes not applyable to simpler projects (I
really don't mind how complex is your app, neither if this extra cost
could be viable).

Maybe I could create an independent infra-structure for this model of
work, that is applyable to generic projects (with some functions and
triggers doing hard job) but I'll not have time to contribute this
before second quarter of 2006. Sorry.

Edson Richter