db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Error 38000 with a stack overflow on recordset.next()?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:28:10 GMT
Daniel Skiles wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> I’m getting a I'm working on trying to embed Cloudscape into an app and
> every time I try to run the next() method on a result set I getting the
> following error:
>
> ERROR 38000: The exception 'java.lang.StackOverflowError' was thrown
> while evaluating an expression.
>      at
> org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
>      at
> org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.unexpectedUserException(Unknown
> Source)
>      at org.apache.derby.impl.services.reflect.DirectCall.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>      at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.ProjectRestrictResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown
> Source)
>      at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BasicNoPutResultSetImpl.getNextRow(Unknown
> Source)
>      at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.movePosition(Unknown
> Source)
>      at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.next(Unknown Source)
>      at
> com.docfinity.orphantracker.CommandLineMk2.main(CommandLineMk2.java:149)
>
> Have any of you seen this error?  If you have, how do I fix it?

The 38000 error means that some exception was thrown in a user defined
Java  routine or procedure. Thus there is a significant chance it's a
bug in your code. I think if you print out the complete exception chain
and the stack traces you may get enough information to solve the
problem. Something like ...

} catch (SQLException sqle) {
   do {
      System.out.println(sqle.getSQLState() + "-" + sqle.getMessage());
      sqle.printStackTrace(System.out);
      sqle = sqle.getNextException();
   } while (sqle != null);
}