db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: CLOBs and the Client driver
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 01:11:54 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:

>The JDBC 3.0 JavaDoc says both relative and absolute are illegal for
>FORWARD_ONLY, I am afraid, cf.

Yeah, I found that too.  It does still seem odd that I should be getting
an error about the result set being forward only, when I'm only moving
forward, but maybe that's just a poor error message on the part of
either JDBC or Derby.

Stepping through with next() is a bit unreasonable though.  Is it fast?
I guess as long as it doesn't result in any network traffic due to the
row data itself, it's fine.  But if it does transfer the row data when I
won't be using it, then stepping over 10,000 rows would be slow.

Is there really no way to do OFFSET/LIMIT in Derby?  That would have
been the traditional way to do paging.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll