db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <kar...@Source-Zone.Org>
Subject Re: CLOBs and the Client driver
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:22:21 GMT
Daniel Noll wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Are there any known problems in Derby 10.1 with regards to retrieving
> CLOBs?  We have a system which can work in both embedded and client
> mode, and I've discovered that using it in client mode results in an
> empty string (not null, but "") returned for a CLOB-type column.
>
> The same issue doesn't happen on the embedded driver, and I can't find
> any immediately obvious records in JIRA which describe a similar problem.
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Can you post the way you are retrieving the CLOBs from the ResultSet.  I
have used the rs.getAsciiStream() and rs.getCharacterStream()
methods for getting CLOBs in the past (with the Client driver) and it
seemed to work just fine.

Example: Getting the AsciiStream from the clob column and writing it to
a file

            InputStream is = rs.getAsciiStream(2);
            BufferedInputStream bs=new BufferedInputStream(is);
            FileOutputStream fo=new FileOutputStream("asciiClob"+i+".txt");

            byte[] b=new byte[128];
            while ((bs.read(b))>0){
                fo.write(b);
            }