db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Susan Cline <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: I need some advice to choose database for an upcomming job
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:40:52 GMT
As Jean mentioned, if you use the Prototype integration option of the article you can have
the derby jar files in the war file.  I think you can just replace the war file with the new
web application that contains the derby jar file(s) in the lib directory without stopping
the Tomcat server.

I think Tomcat "sees" new war files (possibly depending on how it is configured) when they
are placed in the webapps directory.

Susan

"Jean T. Anderson" <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
Legolas Woodland wrote:
> Thank you for references
> I read the article of embeding Derby into Tomcat
> but in my case i have no full access to server to stop tomcat or
> install derby into the server.
> I thought Embeding means no installation requirement.
> is there any way that i include some derby jar files with my web
> application (into lib folder) and use it as embeded DB server ?

Check out Lance Bader's developerWorks article "Integrate Cloudscape
Version 10 or Derby with Tomcat":

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0508bader/index.html

His "prototype integration" option doesn't require touching the Tomcat
configuration. While his instructions have you stop/start the tomcat
server, I don't know if this is strictly necessary to add derby to your
existing web application. Does anyone on this list know for sure?

-jean