db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Are you happy with Derby?]
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 03:17:32 GMT
On Thursday 27 October 2005 15:19, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
Sigh.

Dan, you really need to pay more attention to what was written.

With respect to GPL I never talked about end users.
Just those who license their code under GPL.
GPL does allow a company to release the code under a different license as
well.

I used MySQL AB as an example.

They license MySQL under GPL and their own license. That is what I mean by
allowing for a dual license. GPL allows contributors options. There is more
protection of IP under GPL than under Apache.

Getting back to Apache, under Apache, the contributor pretty much puts his
software out in the public eye and says have at it.

Apache is great if your goal is to take and use the IP or embed the product in
your application for resale.

It sucks if you're a developer and want to extend an existing app with some
new IP that has some monetary value. This is what I meant about protecting
your IP.

Hypothetical situation. You figure out a way to efficiently handle SQL
Optimization that really reduces overhead. There is nothing for stopping IBM
or Oracle to come in and steal your IP and use it in their products, once you
put it in the public eye under Apache.

That's the kicker.

The wild thing is that IBM was short sighted when they released Derby under
Apache. They may have been focusing on MySQL but they really should have been
looking at the bigger picture.

Cloudscape has the potential for being a giant killer. More so than MySQL. ;-)

--
Michael Segel
Principal