db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Eric Lenio <e...@lenio.net>
Subject Re: AntiGC Not Shutting Down
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:29:16 GMT
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:54:37AM +0200, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Eric Lenio <eric@lenio.net> writes:
>
> > I have a similar setup as you, and previously I had witnessed similar
> > behavior with AntiGC.  I recommend this link if you haven't already seen
> > it:
> >
> > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0508bader/
> >
> > Be especially sure to put derby.jar in the correct path.  In my case the
> > AntiGC thread issue went away when derby.jar was placed in
> > tomcat/common/lib (like the above article states in the "casual
> > scenario" section).  The embedded and network drivers worked perfectly
> > after I did this.  Hope this helps.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Are you running the official Apache Derby 10.1.1.0 or the patched
> version I sent you?

Hi Knut, yes I am indeed using your patched version which has run very
stable for me.  I've been stress testing my Tomcat application for
several weeks now without having to restart Tomcat or Derby even once,
whereas before I had to restart several times per hour during heavy
development.

I would also add that there *may* be another thread issue with
DRDAConnThread, I've been monitoring Tomcat with Jconsole for a while
now and these types of threads seem to be growing (I've got 11 right
now, but haven't touched the database in 24 hours).  I have no idea
about what DRDAConnThread even does, so maybe what I am witnessing is
normal.

Eric.