db-derby-user mailing list archives

From sa...@kanjo.net
Subject Re: AntiGC Not Shutting Down
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:42:44 GMT
Quoting Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@Sun.COM>:
> The patch is not applied to the 10.1 branch because of some minor
> problems (NullPointerException can be printed to console when you shut
> down Derby, but your application will continue to work). If you want
> to try the fix, you can either download a snapshot of the development
> version (http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/)
> or download the 10.1 sources and apply the patch yourself.

I see, I thought it had been applied in 10.1.1.1. Well that would explain why
the problem persisted. I will consider making my own build. I am also
investigating Eric's suggestion to move the derby libraries to the Tomcat
common folder.

>> When I do shutdown Derby the following 2 threads remain:
>>
>> Thread [derby.antiGC] (Running)
>>
>> Thread [derby.rawStoreDaemon] (Running)
>
> The only time I have seen that the rawStoreDaemon has continued to run
> after a shutdown, is when an error has occurred during the booting of
> a database (e.g., invalid encryption password or wrong log device when
> performing recovery). I have however seen rawStoreDaemons not being
> garbage collected after they have been stopped.
>
> How did you shut down Derby? Did you use
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true")? If you want
> to shut down Derby entirely, there should be no database name in the
> URL.

I do not receive any errors when starting the database using
NetworkServerControl.start method. I also shutdown the database using
NetworkServerControl.shutdown method. I do receive a socket error when
shutting
down, which seems to be used to indicate the successful shutdown of the
server.

The server is started and shutdown within the same JVM instance as my
application. This is not ideal but I am forced to do so if I want to have any
control over an environment in which I have extremely limited control.