db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: Derby Development and IDEs?
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 04:01:17 GMT
On Wednesday 19 October 2005 22:44, David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I used to work with Kava and I really liked it.  Too bad they missed the
> open source wave and instead got sucked into some big company -- I can't
> remember who any more.  It's nice that the two main IDEs for Java are
> both free and open source.  No more sneaking VC++ CDs from your friends'
> cube...
>
> David

VC++? Outch. (Bad memories.)
Sorry but I'd prefer vi and a white board. (And the occasional use of a
profiler and gdb ;-)

I liked how NetBeans had some prebuilt forms like MDI.  It could be useful to
have a prebuilt database window form, along with some DB extensions to the
Swing components.
(Anyone still play with Informix's 4GL?)

Also I do like the way NetBeans has the ability for someone to write blocks of
code that gets inserted in to their generated code. Again usefull for writing
possible business logic (before and after field code....)

So it looks like we're down to 3 IDEs. Also I notice that if you start with
NetBeans, you have to stick with netbeans  when you develop GUI code?

I think you're going to see a need for some simple tools that can make it
easier to port apps to Derby that will improve its acceptance. ;-)

--
Michael Segel
Principal