db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: DevX article comparing open-source databases
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:33:58 GMT
On Monday 17 October 2005 09:56, Dan Scott wrote:
> Hmm, anybody want to step up to the task of sending in corrections for
> this "Open Source Database Feature Comparison Matrix":
> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
>
> The authors of the matrix (creators of DaffodilDB) compared Cloudscape
> 5.1 against DaffodilDB, MySQL 5.0, PostgreSQL 8.0, etc...
>
> Rather than independently sending sets of (potentially conflicting)
> emails to the devx editors, perhaps we could build a list of
> corrections here; I'll kick it off by focusing on the obvious:

Yeah this would be a good idea.

> * Replace Cloudscape 5.1 with Apache Derby 10.1
> * Add a checkmark for ODBC Driver
> * Add a checkmark for user defined functions
>
> Dan

First, I believe the correction should be that Cloudscape 5.1 is not an
opensource database. Then the rest about Derby.

Here's a small nit...

Both Daffidil and MySQL are not "open source" per se.
With respect to MySQL, they are dual licensed and there appears to be some
attempt at a product differentiation.
Also Daffidil compares their pay for product not their One$DB product which is
their opensource product.

Also you can add a checkmark on sequences. Derby does do this with the
"GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY" option ...

Domains? Hmmmm Unless I'm missing something, not much value there.
Actually it appears to be an attempt at extensible data types...

If you have UDRs / UDFs, then in theory, you can create extensible data types.

One has to ask, can you query on a domain?

--
Michael Segel
Principal