db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: transient priviledgeException
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:56:37 GMT
On Tuesday 11 October 2005 01:56, Xavier Vigouroux wrote:
> Le 10 oct. 05, à 19:05, Kathey Marsden a écrit :
> > Xavier Vigouroux wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a transient priviledgeException when connection to the DB with
> >> ij.
> >>
> >> here is the scenario:
> >>
> >>  1/ I start an embeddedServer
> >>  2/ wait for the ping() be ok (tested in the JVM creating the server)
> >>  3/ start ij to create a schema.
> >>
> >> then in 4, I get a transient error...i.e if I retry it works.
> >>
> >> what should I wait for to be sure the server is ready to recieve cmd?
> >
> > I have not been following this thread closely, and perhaps this has
> > been
> > covered, but I was wondering  what is step  4 doing and what is the
> > error  and what is the transient error and stack trace that you get?
>
> in fact step 4 is step 3 (I did an error):  and starting to create a
> schema means
> ooening a connection with "create=true".

Ok,

But that shouldn't cause an error or even throw an exception.

If the database already exists and you open a connection to that database with
CREATE=TRUE, then you will only get a warning message. And that isn't even
thrown.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say that..... There could be a bug ...

I'm working with Derby using the embedded framework and in my application, I
have a -init command line option.  Here I open the connection with
CREATE=TRUE and then check the warnings. If I get a warning, then I know the
database already exists in some state. I then go to the SYS.SYSTABLE (joined
with the SYS.SYSSCHEMA table) to get all the existing tables in the schema
and then drop them. (Then the schema too). After this clean up, I call my
initDB method that creates the schema and tables.

This works for me, although I'm doing this within a java program and not a
shell script.

> concerning the stack, the execption is is the call to openConnection

OK,
If you try my little program, it should solve this.

--
Michael Segel
Principal