db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Momory leak in JDBC driver?
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:25:09 GMT
Wei Jiang <_weijiang_@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I tried Derby using the default JDBC driver and found memory leak. When I use
> Hsql or Oracle, I do not have such leak. So probably it is the JDBC driver.

Two things:

1) Are you closing your ResultSets? If just let the ResultSet objects
   pass out of scope without closing them, they will be "leaked". That
   is, the driver keeps a linked list of them so they won't be
   gc'ed. I have experienced this myself, but I don't know if there is
   a JIRA issue for it

2) Are you using blobs/clobs? From what I have seen on this (and the
   derby-dev) list, it seems that blobs/clobs cannot be streamed, and this
   can result in "Out of Memory" errors when using large blobs/clobs.

--
dt