db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dan Scott <deni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: derby to mysql?
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:24:25 GMT
On 9/30/05, Liam <liam@liamegan.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> This question may have come up before, but I've ben unable to find it on
> the list or the web.
>
> I have a large derby database which has been used for a java application
> and I now have a need to use it on the web. With the little control over
> the target server, my only option is MySQL. My question is; is it
> possible to convert a derby database converted to MySQL?
>
> Cheers.
> Liam.

Just how limited is your control over the target server? You can run
Derby in network server mode to avoid the pain of data type
conversion, missing features, etc that you'll face with a database
migration.

If your Web application is Java based, you just need enough control
over the target server to deploy the Derby JDBC driver.

If your Web application is PHP based, you need enough control over the
target server to install a DB2 runtime client + PHP + the ibm_db2 PHP
extension (http://php.net/ibm_db2).

Same approach applies to Perl using the DBD::DB2 driver...

Dan