db-derby-user mailing list archives

From SBarb...@ILSTechnology.com
Subject Re: 'Invalid checksum on Page' error
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:24:11 GMT

The error is always on the same page ( 10031 ).
I ran the SYSCS_CHECK_TABLE command and I get the same error displayed
about the page checksum error
 that is listed in the derby.log.
I took a look at the OS logs but there was nothing that would indicate a IO
failure.
I am attaching the derby.log file.

(See attached file: derby.log)

I will run this scenario on several devices to try to recreate the problem.

|         |           Mike Matrigali   |
|         |           <mikem_app@sbcglo|
|         |           bal.net>         |
|         |           09/07/2005 12:47 |
|         |           "Derby           |
|         |           Discussion"      |

  |       To:       Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
                                                            |
  |       cc:
                                                      |
  |       Subject:  Re: 'Invalid checksum on Page' error

The most usual case that causes a bad checksum error is a
hardware problem on the data disk.  I have also seen OS I/O issues
where for some reason other data has been written into the derby
file.  Have you checked the OS log
to see if any errors are being generated?  Could you attach the
complete derby.log if it is not too big? Or if not could you at
least attach the complete error from this particular error - most
of the time the page dump won't help much but sometimes it is
interesting if there is something like all 0's in the end of
the page.

It sounds like this problem on the disk and not a runtime error
from your description.  The current error is reporting an error
on page 10031, are all the errors you are seeing on the same page?
Running the following will check your table, and should report
the same error as encountered below if the problem is a persistent
on disk error:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/ref/rrefsyscschecktablefunc.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/cadminconsist01.html

The only supported way to recover from this error to apply a backup
if you have one, and if it was a roll forward backup it will bring
the database up to the current state.

SBarboza@ILSTechnology.com wrote:
> Hi,
>         I have apache derby 10.0 running on a MontaVista Linux system
(3.1
> Professional with Linux/i686 2.4.20)  in embedded mode using the
> EmbeddedConnectionPoolDataSource.
> The java level is Sun's jre 1.4.2_04.
> There are around 3.5 million records in a table in the DB.
> While adding the records I had  one thread inserting rows into this table
> at a rate of around 50 msecs.
> Another thread is periodically doing selects on this table and some
> deletes.
>
> When the record count was building up to 3.5 million , no deletes were
> being done on the table.
> I have the transaction log and db temp space in a different directory.
>
> When a thread attempts to delete a record from the table , it catches a
> SQLException with the following error message
>
>  SQLError:0              SQLState:XJ001           SQLErrMsg:Java
exception:
> ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
>

> The derby.log file (at the end of this posting )  indicates an invalid
> checksum on a page . I have only included the first few lines.
> This may have occurred when i was selecting data from the database.
>
> If I restart the application, I sometimes get the same SQLException on
the
> thread that is inserting data , after a few succesful inserts.
>
> When I run the command line client (ij), I am able to select and delete
> records from this database.
>
> What would typically cause a checksum error to occur ? Is there a way to
> recover from it without losing data ?
>

> ====================  Begin derby.log
> ------------  BEGIN SHUTDOWN ERROR STACK -------------
>
> ERROR XSDG2: Invalid checksum on Page Page(10031,Container(0, 800)),
> expected=3,
> 558,849,496, on-disk version=772,832,532, page dump follows: Hex dump:
> 00000000: 0075 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 003d 003c  .u..............
> 00000010: 0000 0042 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000  ...B............
>

> The trailing stack trace is as follows:
>
>         at
> org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown
Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.StoredPage.validateChecksum(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.StoredPage.initFromData(UnknownSource)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.CachedPage.setIdentity(Unknown
Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.services.cache.CachedItem.takeOnIdentity(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.services.cache.Clock.addEntry(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.services.cache.Clock.find(Unknown
Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.FileContainer.getUserPage(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.FileContainer.getPage(Unknown
Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseContainerHandle.getPage(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.conglomerate.OpenConglomerate.latchPage(Unknown

>  Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.conglomerate.GenericConglomerateController.fetch(Unknown

>  Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexRowToBaseRowResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown

>  Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BasicNoPutResultSetImpl.getNextRow(Unknown

>  Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.movePosition(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.next(Unknown Source)
>
> ------------  END SHUTDOWN ERROR STACK -------------
>
> 2005-09-07 13:54:01.041 GMT Thread[Thread-2,5,main] (XID = 2985973),
> (SESSIONID= 1), (DATABASE = /xqjava/db/SAF), (DRDAID = null), Cleanup
> action starting
> 2005-09-07 13:54:01.042 GMT Thread[Thread-2,5,main] (XID = 2985973),
> (SESSIONID= 1), (DATABASE = /xqjava/db/SAF), (DRDAID = null), Failed
> Statement is: INSERT
> INTO  messages_1 ( msg_id, msg_timestamp, msg) VALUES (?,?,?)
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseDataFileFactory.openContainer(Unknown

>  Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseDataFileFactory.openContainer(Unknown

>  Source)
>         at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.openContainer(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.conglomerate.OpenConglomerate.init(Unknown

>  Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.heap.Heap.open(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.RAMTransaction.openConglomerate(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.RAMTransaction.openCompiledConglomerate(Unknown

>  Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.RowChangerImpl.openForUpdate(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.RowChangerImpl.open(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.InsertResultSet.normalInsertCore(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.InsertResultSet.open(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown
Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown
Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedCallableStatement.executeStatement(Unknown