db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: derby performance and 'order by'
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:20:39 GMT
Hi Ali,

I've filed a Minor Feature Request in JIRA: DERBY-581.

I agree that the information should be expressed in SQL so that the
query optimized and execution strategy can know what the user needs
in terms of cardinality.

I'd also like to ask that when we consider extending the SQL in this
manner we consider skipping the first N rows and returning the next M
rows.

Craig

On Sep 20, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Suavi Ali Demir wrote:

> Another little detail about optimization is that
> Statement.setMaxRows() kind of functions on the JDBC side may not
> be sufficient since it is called after SQL statement is prepared
> and returned as an object (after query plan is built). Therefore,
> it may be necessary to have language syntax to indicate the
> intention to fetch first 1000 rows only, so that when the query is
> prepared, this intention can be taken into account.
> Regards,
> Ali
>

> Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> As craig points out it is important in performance testing to say
> exactly what you are measuring. In general Derby will try to
> stream rows to the user before it has finished looking at all rows.
> So often looking at the first row will and stopping will mean that
> many rows have not been processed. BUT when an order by is involved
> and the query plan either has no appropriate matching index, or
> decides
> to use a different index then all the rows are processed, then they
> are
> sent to the sorter and finally after all rows are processed they are
> streamed to the client.
>
> So as you have seen reading the first 1000 rows of a much larger data
> set can happen very quickly.
>
> As subsequent mail threads have pointed out, returning the top 1000
> sorted rows is an interesting problem which could be costed and
> executed
> differently if that information was pushed into the optimizer and the
> sorter (and medium level projects were done in those areas).
>

> scotto wrote:
> > The test was set up and run using the SQuirreL client, not ij.
> All 3 of
> > the queries return the top 1000 rows and the times I reported are to
> > return these top 1000 rows, not just the first row.

> --

Craig Russell