db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Deepa Remesh <drem...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cant' get user defined function to work
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:48:09 GMT
On 9/26/05, Erik.Bengtson@intl.westernunion.com
<Erik.Bengtson@intl.westernunion.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I've created the following function:
> DROP FUNCTION JPOX_ASCII;
>
> CREATE FUNCTION JPOX_ASCII(C CHAR(1)) RETURNS INTEGER
>
> EXTERNAL NAME 'org.jpox.store.rdbms.adapter.Function.ascii'
>
> CALLED ON NULL INPUT
>
> LANGUAGE JAVA PARAMETER STYLE JAVA;

[snip]

> When I try to use the function, I get the following:
>

> 'JPOX_ASCII' is not recognized as a function or procedure.
>
> ERROR 42Y03: 'JPOX_ASCII' is not recognized as a function or procedure.

If you define a function using 'CREATE FUNCTION ...' and call it using
CALL {function} statement, you get the same error as above. To call a
function in Derby, either VALUES or SELECT has to be used.
e.g: VALUES JPOX_ASCII('a');

> It works when the EXTERNAL NAME refers to a java.lang.* operation. I've
> tried several other combinations on external name, and the function
> parameters, and none of them was good.

Since use of java.lang.* works for you, this may not be your problem.
Just wanted to check since I have got the same error message before
when I mixed up 'function' and 'procedure'.

Thanks,
Deepa