db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <kar...@Source-Zone.Org>
Subject Re: Derby cannot be bind to the IP address of the host in which Derby resides.
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:40:34 GMT
wolfgang127us@yahoo.co.jp wrote:

>Hi there,
>I specified the host name by using the following code instead of
>NetworkServerControl server = new
>Then, error messages in derby.log were gone but I got two lines of
>"Server is ready to accept connections on port 1527."
>and unfortunately, I still cannot access the Derby instance from remote.
>I tested whether the port is opened or not using telnet.
>>>From the same host, it's opened.
>>>From a remote host, it's NOT opened.
> Take an action against poverty
> http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/whiteband/

I tried both the scenarios you mentioned in you mails:

1) reading  hostname/port from derby.properties
2) hostname/port as arguments

and did not get the errors you are seeing (no multiple messages in
derby.log, unsuccessful pings)  .

I am using Eclipse and wrote the following two classes
(testServerStart.java and serverThread .java), using your code snippet, to
bring up the Network Server. Was able to  ping/connect/create db/query
the Network Server just fine from a remote client.

If you  can post a reproduction of  your scenario it will be really
useful. Also info on what platform, jdk you are using.

public class testServerStart {

     * @param args
        serverThread srv=new serverThread();
            //wait forever, else the main program will exit and so will
all the threads ;-)

//serverThread .java
import java.net.InetAddress;
import java.net.UnknownHostException;

import org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl;

public class serverThread  extends Thread {

    public void start() {
        System.out.println("Starting Server Thread...");
        try {
            NetworkServerControl server = new

            // hostname/port read from derby.properties
            // hostname/port as arguments

        } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
            System.out.println("Unkown host error");
        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.out.println("Unkown EXCEPTION");
    public void run() {

View raw message