db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: BLOB suppression : can't recover disk space
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:07:38 GMT
please search mail lists/manual with respect to space reclamation.

Derby stores each table and index in a separate file.  Once it
uses the disk space in a file it never automatically gives it
back to the OS.  Subsequent inserts should reuse the space
released by the delete of the file in the same file, so if you
insert another 700mb file into the table the file should not
grow - assuming enough time has elapsed for the background
threads to reclaim the space and that the delete was committed.

By hand you can reclaim the space by running the following:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/ref/rrefaltertablecompress.html

note that insert will also log the 700mb into the transaction log
so you will use that disk space also.